Monday, February 25, 2013

Booster Shot

When you're stopped dead in your tracks with a block of some kind, there spawns a very particular moment in time that seems to extend to infinity. Artists and other creative-types know this phenomenon quite well as an "artist's block." While there are many ways for such a block to show up, there are just as many ways to get rid of one. A person who receives such a block may be mentally exhausted from working on his/her art too much, and so taking a break may be a method to counter it. Those who can't seem to get the next part of the page fleshed out may find themselves compelled to complete a part of their work they haven't even started on. Others whose idea wells seemed to have run dry seek alternative sources of inspiration - be it other people or other projects out of their area of expertise.

Then there's a particular kind of artist's block that refuses to budge no matter what. The artist decides to tackle it with guns blazing, but the block becomes harder to budge than Stalingrad in the tail end of 1942. With all options exhausted, the person in question just gives up... and without warning some time later, the block begins to erode away from the sands of time. Very, very few things can last the test of time - and an artist's block? Not one of them.

(Former) Longtime readers of my blog can easily attest to how true the above paragraphs, because for the past two months or so I haven't really posted anything noteworthy. I felt myself stagnating - not just because of my personal situations, but because I lacked the inspiration necessary to compose something worth reading. It was like I was hit with an artist's block that affected more than my creative output - it seemed to damage what little morale I had left.

Time seems to be on my side, however - I can feel the block begin to crumble away. The motivation and creativity that seemed to be impeded are now making their way back to my mind (albeit in a slow, trickling pace). And you know what that means?



That's right - I'm going to slowly begin blogging again. (Technically, I've already been blogging (going for two-plus years now) - but we all know that doesn't really count.) Let's face it... due to the dramatic circumstances altering life I've essentially taken a rather large hit to my morale. As a result, my writing, my projects, my creative output... all that (and then some) began spiraling downward to the point where it's all barely circling the drain.

I was staring at my blog and I remember thinking, "Damn. I am not happy with how I've let this thing deteriorate. I need to do something about it." That's why this entry's here: to prevent that from happening. We don't want this "nothing" that this blog has currently become. Not me, not you (if you're somehow reading this), not anyone who randomly hits my blog and likes what they see. That, and I essentially forced myself to type something. (Getting egged on by my girlfriend Wendy helped, as well.)

So... here we are. I'm proving I'm not dead to the rest of the world - even if barely anyone reads this. I'm here, even if I do consider myself "only mostly dead" when it comes to me writing things on here.



Of course, since it has been a while since I've actively typed something on here, I kinda strained myself doing so. Writing is a lot like athletics - while some may be naturally talented at it, it takes regular training and exercise to get oneself to peak conditions. You can't just wake up, desire to become the next great writer/athlete and expect to write the next Huckleberry Finn or make the goalie tryouts in your first shot. You have to practice and train and do the exercises over and over until writing or performing become second nature.

This also applies to people who take extended breaks. Sure, they've done the training before and they know what they're doing. However, by not writing or competing in a while, they get rusty. The skill and motions are still there, but the (mental) muscles have lost their tone. So, in order to rebuild my writing skills, I decided to start posting worthwhile things on here again.

Of course, this will take time, but I think I'm ready to meet the challenge. As for the "worthwhile things" that I'll be slapping online? You're wondering what they are, right? What to expect in the coming two or three weeks, post content-wise?

Fire Emblem Awakening has claimed much of my recent life so far. Whoo!
I haven't been playing much games lately, but since I am a gamer, it's only inevitable that I write something related to games. Maybe I'll start by talking about Fire Emblem Awakening for the 3DS - it's got me fully gripped, and I'm pretty sure I can explain it to the point that you'll be wanting to play as well. The story, the characters, the music... oh, LORDS, I have to talk to you about the music! I'll save my almost-rabid ranting for that entry... whenever it comes.

Conquering the world never looked so hammy.
Some of the more observant readers (should any of them still be around) may have noticed another topic that has frequented the "entries" lately: the idea of some kind of "legacy." As can be seen here in the above picture, this "legacy" happens to be in the form of the classic board game known as Risk. I have something I've been working on for a while, and I think I'm going to have fun with it when it's finally slapped on here. You will as well. I hope.

"Engrish, Motherfucka'!"
Flip a coin.
HEADS: Speak like a Samuel L. Jackson character from a movie.
TAILS: Speak like a fresh-off-the-boat Asian.
"Engrish, Motherfucka'!" lasts for four turns.
+200
Yes. This game again. I love it, and I'm pretty sure it's livened someone's party when they broke out the pens and index cards. As one of the easiest topics to write about, I can see at least one picture-heavy entry involving 1000 Blank White Cards. Besides, it's a nice little creative outlet at times.



These aren't the only topics I'll be going through. I'm sure there's going to be more interesting things as well, so you can worry not about the next few weeks being all super-boring. *winks*

Anyway, that's going to be it for today. I still have things to do, and I'm plum-tuckered from typing all this. (Sort of - the willpower's there; the creative tank's just running on fumes.) Well, I'll see y'all around... hopefully sooner than later!

(P.S.: Happy now, Wendy? =P (Happy birthday, by the way. <3))

No comments:

Post a Comment