Sunday, October 30, 2011

Carving the Books of the World

initializing startup... done.
accessing rogue protocols... done.
establishing mainframe connection... done.
running command firewall lines... done.
starting up defensive system...

Welcome to the WeißeRitter Defense Mainframe
Powered by Gründer Industries

user:
> wkc8942
pass:
> ********
code:
> angels ten

...authenticating...

Good afternoon, White Knight! Query?
> run "blogPublic"
initializing... done.
BLOG of the PUBLIC... open. Query?
> code "masteraccess"
> upload "20111030"
...I'm sorry, we do not have a file "20111030" in the servers. Query?
> code "TSleak"
please provide security confirmation:
> code "backdoor021903"
command authorized. upload and download of top secret data is authorized
> create "20111030"
creating new file "20111030"... done:





CURRENT MUSIC:
Bear McCreary - "Gaeta's Lament (f. Alessandro Juliani)" & "Gaeta's Lament (Instrumental)"
Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 Original Soundtrack

(Author's Note: In the event that you wish to click the above links, be warned that you'll run at risk of spoiler exposure. If you've yet to see the series and want to listen to this piece, do whatever you can to avoid reading the description and any and all comments. You've been warned.)

"Gaeta's Lament" is one of those tracks that has a tragic and somber sound to it. (Before you start assuming things, I am not depressed with life. I'm just sad at yesterday's little... incident.) While a good portion of Battlestar Galactica's music could be considered tragic (what, between the war and the glaring fact that there's only 50,000+ humans left at the start of the series), this particular motif holds its own personal tragedy.

Lieutenant Felix Gaeta, played in the show by Alessandro Juliani, is shot in his right leg after an attempted "mutiny" onboard the Demetrius (one of those "wrong place, wrong time" scenarios, I guess). Said leg ends up becomes infected and has to be amputated. He sings this melancholic song in an attempt to not focus on the pain and trauma of losing a limb. The instrumental version, played later on in the series, has a somewhat-faster and much different feel to it. While it retains the tragic sounds that the sung version has, it focuses less on the depression and instead makes aggressive vengeance the dominant emotion - which matches the parts it's used in quite harmoniously as Gaeta launches his insurrection onboard the Galactica.

It's a nice piece - Juliani performed quite well on vocals in my opinion, and the instrumental does its job of aurally conveying bitter revenge both on the recording and in the show. If I ever get back on a piano, I might consider learning a rendition of it. Matter-of-fact, I think I'll have someone join me, because lookie: I found lyrics and sheet musics! =D

Photo from Bear McCreary's blog. (Spoilers alert!)



"It is best to keep one’s own state intact; to crush the enemy’s state is only second best."
- Sun Tzu
(The Art of War)

For those of you who've never heard of Sun Tzu or his most famous piece of work, you should probably consider taking a stab at reading it or learning about him. The beauty behind this quote (and the whole of The Art of War, really) is that it works both inside and outside a military standpoint. In times of war, having the support and integrity of your country and its people is very important, because if you don't, you'll end up losing a war that nobody wants to fight for (case in point: the Vietnam War), and World War I with Russia during February and October 1917). Out of a war context, this applies to both a person's psychological condition and corporate takeovers. If one were to succeed at conquest but exhaust their own internal resources, they end up being defeated as well (in a sense).





Good afternoon, future peons of the world! This post I made today was supposed to be yesterday's, but as you remember, that didn't go so well. However, I have made sure that didn't happen today. That's a good thing - you're in for a nice treat of an entry! Consider this your "trick or treat" session.

Now, as your future world leader (if I were to, like, totally take over the world), I have decided for your general safety to declassify these very sensitive documents temporarily. Take in this information, for if the time comes where the guns begin to fire and you find yourself in another form of government for no reason, then you just might live if you can recall all of this sensitive information.

You're welcome. =P





Case ORANGE
(The Culling of Stratholme Pumpkins)

So the other day when I said I had "a world to save", I was busy gutting two individuals on the basis that it was their time to die. We had our victims transported by car, and then eviscerated their internals and cut them in pieces. And all was well with the world, because we had eliminated a duo of treasonous bastards for failing to uphold the duties they swore to carry out.

Okay, so I wasn't really involved in actual murder. Rather, I was involved with a simple and fun act of pumpkin carving. And I hung out with my cousins while we did it - so in a way, we bonded over murder. Fun times? Maybe. Silliness? Totally.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE~!
There's something oddly primal about cutting a pumpkin open and totally removing its insides. It apparently triggered that primal instinct inside both me and one of my cousins, as you can see here. It almost got to the point where we were going to chuck pumpkin guts at each other.

Carving time!
Some of my other cousins were carving pumpkins for the first time. Those of us who already had lived through the "gory" experience decided to let them take a spin at it.

Doesn't it make you feel all gushy inside? Good - because that's what it felt inside those pumpkins.
And the result? Happy and delightful pumpkins that want to smile and look cool and festive!

That's about it for the pumpkin extermination. Any more photos and we'd look like barbaric fascists or something. I'm hereby reclassifying this document. Go look at something else.





Case PUBLISHER
(A Written Objective of Great Manifestation)

So while looking through Keri's Smith's This is Not a Book I began wondering about other things I could do to help bolster my writing and creative output. I thought to myself and pondered how This is Not a Book had been helping me thus far, so I figured, "Eh. Another book ought to do some good."

Enter another of Keri Smith's creative books: Finish This Book.

Or rather, F nish Th s B k.
Yeah, if you're reading the cover right, you'll notice that not only are various letters of the title are missing, but that there are two authors: Keri Smith... and a blank line with a note pointing to it that says "your name here." Oh, yeah. I get to write a book - not something your average artist does on a random whim.

While what I have is great enough on the basis that it allows for ultimate freedom, the thing is that it gave a little too much freedom. It's always said that too much of anything - even a good thing - can be bad. Freedom itself is no exception. Sometimes I felt that This is Not a Book offered me too much freedom, and it left me bewildered at points. That's not the case with Finish This Book, because it stipulates the following:

Instructions. Oh, joy.
  1. Complete this book in order. Do not skip ahead (unless instructed to). You will be presented with assignments as you need to learn them.
  2. Do not share your findings until directed to do so.
  3. If at any time you find yourself unable to complete the tasks in the book, please forward the book to someone you feel will be able to complete it.
Now, this may seem like I'm over-pressuring myself here as I already have This is Not a Book on my plate. Then again, I'm a guy who likes challenges and who likes overdoing things sometimes. Perhaps I'll be successful in this endeavor.

Anyway, as it says I can't "share my findings" with you, I'm afraid I must stop talking about this. But don't fret - I'm sure if I'm instructed to, I'll share something (maybe). It's not like you're going to have to wait until I finish the thing, right?





Case BRITANNIA
(Of Destroying and Creating Worlds)

While going through This is Not a Book I stumbled across a peculiar set of pages that instantly grabbed my attention.

"This is a PLOT to rule the world. If I, [Your Name Here], could rule the world, I would make the following changes."
This matched today's overall emotion with me for some strange reason. By now I've made it clear that I want to take over the world. I mean, between my megalomaniacal tendencies and my psychosis spewing out crazy dream after crazy dream, the though of world dominance had to have spawned by now if it hadn't yet. So after letting off an evil laugh I began to ponder on some thoughts regarding these pages and what plans I've already begun. (If you've read my infamous Hate List, you'll probably already know about these plans...)

The plan looks something like this... albeit more awesome.
A couple of years ago my friends from high school and I conceived a plan of teamwork and global control. Using our imaginary prowess, what little resources we had, and the amateur knowledge of governmental workings some of us took from our government classes or NationStates, we devised a plan.
The World Domination Plan We Conceived
  1. Divide the World into (Future) Distinct Regions That We Would Rule
  2. ???
  3. PROFIT WORLD TAKEOVER SUCCESSFUL
Yeah, I'm not sure if that worked out all too well, because like the underpants gnomes of South Park and the "plans" of the Draenei in World of Warcraft, we just wanted to skip to step three.

Anyway, while we're never going to get around to taking over the world and subjecting every other person, place, thing, and idea to our wills, we couldn't help but laugh at some of the ideas we concocted. And when I look back at it now, I realized that we had a few set rules and territories already set up. We haven't talked about this plan in ages (sadly), but I've been thinking about it, so I decided to carry the torch and continue the planning, resetting all territorial claims (minus mine) and starting anew.

(Oh, trust me: I'll be putting a page up for this world domination plan sometime soon - but once I contact everyone involved with this originally, I'll slap it on. For now, I'll just explain what will happen if we were to be successful.)

Now, people have asked me what I'd take and what I'd do in the event that my friends and I were to achieve global conquest. I'm not asking for much - just the Pacific seaboard and other varied locations. Of course, that seems a bit broad, so here's a more easier breakdown:

Josh D. "Whitey" Blanco's Claims of the World

NORTH AMERICA
-- United States of America
----- California
----- Oregon
----- Washington
----- Hawaii (I can haz Pearl Harbor)
----- Alaska (only the Alaska Peninsula and the Aleutian Islands - Shadow Moses, baby!)
----- Georgia (joint-ownership with anyone who wants that area - hey, I lived there)
----- Pacific-Based United States Minor Outlying Islands
----- Guam
-- Mexico
----- Baja California
----- Baja California Sur

CENTRAL AMERICA
(Joint-ownership with anyone who wants that region)
-- Panama (enough so that I own half of the Panama Canal)

SOUTH AMERICA
-- Ecuador
-- Peru
-- Chile
-- Easter Island (Moai!)

ASIA - Indian Ocean
-- Diego Garcia

ASIA - Pacific Ocean
-- Philippines
-- Russia
----- Chukotka
----- Kamchatka
----- Magadan
----- Khabarovsk
----- Sakhalin
----- Primorsky
-- People's Republic of China
----- Shanghai
-- Taiwan
-- Federated States of Micronesia

ANTARCTICA
-- whatever parts border the Pacific

OTHER MISC. CLAIMS
-- all military forces (especially naval fleets) in any Pacific territory not yet claimed

(Author's Note: Keep in mind that I might change boundaries in regards to the West Pacific - all those damn islands and countries in Asia are so hard to track, y'know?)



Of course, you'll notice that I didn't lay claim to a bazillion places. I'm fair. That, and other friends have other land stakes, so I'll let them have it. Here's what else has been claimed thus far:

- Japan
One of my friends is planning to turn the Land of the Rising Sun into his personal paradise. Officially, he stipulated that Japan would become his personal harem and blonde extermination grounds - but "personal paradise" sounds better.

- Germany
I forgot who officially claimed Deutschland. Someone did. I narrowed it down to one of two people, but I forget who. Of course, the fun part is that they're not German.

- Canada, Greenland, various parts of Siberia, and the Arctic Circle
One of my work friends wanted to lay some claims, and I let him. This is what he wanted, just so he could threaten the rest of us with the melting of the Arctic ice caps. Eh - I can just launch every nuke I have back at every territory he owns to turn it all into a more desolate zone.



Now, here's the question: what would we all do once we owned the world? I had a few ideas that seemed almost universal, and I also had ideas that I'd probably only get away with in my territories. I'll list the ones that I'll be deeming as "universal" here.

For starters, any and all government facilities involving the Department of Motor Vehicles (or whatever it's named in other areas) will be eradicated however the regional governor (the person in direct control of the territory) sees fit.

Now, for my territories, I'll let the general public do what they want to their local facilities, barring three specific offices. Two of them will be spared and reorganized as a new and better-working DMV (on the basis that I and many of my friends passed at those offices, which have been rated as "fair" by most of us), while the third will be destroyed under my personal supervision. (I have a bone to pick, and if you've read the Hate List, you know which one.)

Secondly, as my Japan-claiming friend is dead-set serious about his blonde vendetta (I honestly don't know why), I'll be declaring my territories as a safe haven for any blonde that he decides to spare... or anyone I deem worthy of living. I already have a mental list of who I'm granting asylum once the "Blondicaust" starts (not all blondes fit the stereotype, though I'll admit they have their moments =P), but for those of you I don't know, you'll have to hide somewhere in my territories and fill out the paperwork.

The third idea is assuming we (the people who've taken the world) all amassed the wealth of the world and are set to live luxuriously the rest of our lives. I would seize control of various stores, cities, and businesses (along with the Target I work in)... and make them more fun. I'd become the boss and I'd enact various silly laws and regulations that would make living and working wherever these places are... more fun. You can ask me about these plans if you ever meet me.

I'm sure I can think of more ideas, but for now, I think I've declassified enough.





Well, I'll be talking to y'all sometime tomorrow. Until then, people. Hope you enjoyed reading all this information and taking in all this silliness!

No comments:

Post a Comment