Sunday, March 4, 2012

Still In a Dream

Thank you, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D, for being on the 3DS. I can now have portable awesomeness wherever I go (so long as my battery holds out, at least.

Snake Eater is so amazing that this post is pretty much dedicated to one of my most favorite games of all time. Its awesomeness is so amazing that the only way it could be better is if it were to be combined with another awesome thing. In this case, we're going to combine it with my newfound addiction to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I'd say it mixes well. When I saw this, the correlations actually made sense in my mind. Your mileage may vary, though.
(Image made by "johnjoseco" and found on DeviantArt.)

Anyway, let's just go to the meat of this entry - the music that helps make this game a very memorable one.





CURRENT MUSIC:
Cynthia Harrell - "Snake Eater"
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Original Soundtrack


"Snake Eater" is the theme song to the third game in the Metal Gear Solid series. "Snake Eater" is perhaps one of my favorite songs ever. Apart from the fact that it's the only theme song made for the franchise, it claims this title because of the fact that it represented more than just a game and more than just a story.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater didn't have just the feel of a video game - it had the tone and soul of an interactive spy movie. The obvious themes of tactical espionage action and self-aware fourth-wall breaking humor that the Metal Gear series prided itself on coupled harmoniously with that suave essence commonly used in spy flicks - and because of that, the game has played its way into my personal favorites. "Snake Eater" captured the very soul of the game, and to this day it remains as one of my favorite pieces ever made for a video game. By this, I mean that if this were to start playing, I'd start singing along no matter what, not caring about the looks I'd get or the fact that I'm no mezzo-soprano. (In the event that I can't sing, I'll definitely lip-sync.)

Anyway, enough rambling - I'm looking like a fanboy here, but we don't need any of that. "Snake Eater" resembles the title songs commonly heard in James Bond movies (and spy flicks in general), combining vocals and copious amounts of trumpeting fanfares and sultry strings to create a "spy-esque" theme song. Couple this song with a title sequence that also seems reminiscent of spy movies and you get an amazing set of opening credits that still make me wonder if I'm watching an espionage-based game or playing through a spy movie. (FYI: Click the link I provided if you don't believe me.)





I'll catch y'all tomorrow. I got a lot of work ahead of me, so maybe you'll hear about it then!

No comments:

Post a Comment