Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Zulu Year

As tonight draws to a close, I figured I'd write here on this online journal. Normally, I'd lampoon such a decision with sarcasm and an air of futility (I mean, who would be around to read this?), but I suppose it would be best to do so for... what a colleague of mine said would be "the future." While I don't know whether or not she's right, it does provide me solace in knowing that I can unload my thoughts.

Feh. As if jotting all this madness down would ease my conscience. There's no future in this world; no hope beyond waking up to a desolate and decimated world torn apart by conflict. And yet here I am.



Hello, reader - if you're out there, that is. "Welcome to the desert of the real" - where life is a valued commodity traded amongst such things as gasoline and the phrase "every man for himself" saves lives... and ends them. This would be the part where I would tell you who I am, but that isn't necessary. My name is not important - a set of identifying words buys me nothing for survival. If you must identify me with something, then... let's use the alias "Camarillo."

Tonight marks the one hundred and seventeenth day that I have spent on the run from the madness that is slowly enveloping the world. Before that, I ran a local retail store, trudging through daily life unaware of the chaos the planet was about to unleash upon itself. I was a simpleton doing his best to make something of himself.

On that day, several news agencies issued strange reports of a new kind of experimental weapon being used all over Eurasia. Military R&D at Germany, radical insurgency in Iran, a high school experiment in Norway gone wrong... I don't remember exactly. The press wasn't any clear on it either, because a lot of conspiracy theories were circling about in regards to these cases of "bio-terrorism." Days passed after these "attacks," and when the new year came to pass, the tensions across the world because of these events rose with it.

While this was all going on across the world, I did my best to turn a blind eye to it all. Sure, I should be worried, but there were other issues that should've been focused on. America had its own problems ("had?"), but it wasn't about to get itself dragged into the realm of worldwide biological warfare. I mean, between a ruptured economy and a government willing to censor its own laws to censor anyone deemed "an enemy," there was no way Uncle Sam would have time to dabble in such organic matters.



What does that have to do with anything? Well, flu season is just about over. Despite this, an alarming amount of people near wherehave come down with some kind of sickness. A few of my employees have called out and reported one of two things: stomach problems, or massive fevers and body aches. It has occurred to me before that most people who didn't succumb to sickness over the winter usually get sick at the very end, but... six of my employees? Three of my neighbors? Various other people related to the coffee shop locals?

What's going around out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment