Monday, August 19, 2013

Cultural Inclusion

During my birthday I was with my girlfriend and some friends at Topper's Pizza (not to be confused with the Topper's Pizza of the Great Lakes region of the United States), discussing some things involving Terani and the role-playing game engine system (d20 Modern). As we were talking I was asked a question:

What are the cultures like for each country?

...frak. I forgot to do that. All my work with getting enemies, NPCs, storylines and what not fleshed out and what not... all undermined by a simple question that covers something I should have had done a while ago. *sighs* This seems about right for me to do something as forgetful as this.

To be honest, it's probably a good thing that I'm doing this now. Since I have (most of) the technical aspects covered for this campaign, I now have time to help bring this world to life. Done correctly, the entire world will become the players' oyster. For example, players can hear a name or language and realize that a certain NPC hails from such and such a country. Said country consists of a sort-of "conqueror's culture" of sorts that considers running away from a challenge as the most dishonorable thing ever. Using this knowledge, the players can use this to their knowledge and challenge him for the woman he and his cronies are holding captive. (In this example, the PCs' taunt would work.)

Of course, I've got more work now for myself to take care of because of this. With over sixty countries on the Terani map, I've got to start creating the cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment