Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Trolling for Shoes

I found this little gem in my documents a little while ago: a pre-typed response to this... (counter-)troll (for lack of a better term) I encountered long ago in World of Warcraft. Now, I'm usually not one to post anything on Trade Chat. If I do, I'm looking for business offers or trying to make money by Alchemy.

To the millions of MMORPG gamers out there, y'all know how a typical trade chat works. For those who don't: imagine a chat room where every player on a given game server can talk to each other in public. Factor in GIFT and you can only imagine how mind-numbing and crass said chat room can be.

Well, in one particular server (US-Ravenholdt) there once was a Horde-side troll by the name of Cefka. (S)He (more than likely "he") had this nasty habit of baiting people into saying something stupid (or waiting for someone else to do that) and then verbally ripping them a new one. It was immature, brazen... but I won't lie, it was entertaining.

At one point in time, I felt like I had to respond. (This was before Blizzard implemented that "two messages per fifteen seconds" rule on Trade Chat.) I took some time, thought my words over, and came up with this gem that I promptly posted (re-edited for grammar purposes on here:
Excuse me, Ravenholdt... I'd like to chip in my two cents here.

After careful observation of this entire convoluted mess that we call "Trade Chat," I've come to the conclusion that most of you have the intelligence and mental stability of a deranged Twilight fangirl on her period. Granted, this IS the Internet – we ALL have that tendency to flaunt our egos safely and anonymously behind the safety of our computer screens. It's a sort of superiority complex that manifests itself only when you're online.

However, some people here have proven that their parents should not have procreated. Now that my thesis has been stated, I have a few responses to some people.

Cefka: apart from the fact that your name is a (potential) reference towards the antagonist from Final Fantasy VI, I don't know anything about you, nor will I claim to. I am not here in rallying support of raising you onto a pedestal, nor am I here to wage a fruitless, text-based war against you like so many have done prior to me typing this out.

However, I have to say that by your simple actions of posting on Trade, you've succeeded in exposing the populace of people I now know to avoid not just in-game, but in real-life as well. AND you've done it in a sophisticated manner of (counter-)trolling that also proved to be quite entertaining to read while I've been leveling my fishing in Dalaran. Thanks for helping 250-395+ seem less aggravating to grind.

To the people who may say that I'm probably a Cefka fan or anything similar: I am not. Out of the few months I've been on this server, this would be the first time I've ever "interacted" with Cefka. Before this I was only told that they were comparable to "Steelballa" of US-Tichondrius, except smarter and with a sharper tongue.

By reading this I have a faint sense on who Cefka is now: someone who enjoys riling trolls on Trade whenever they feel like logging on WoW. Of course, the rest of you have your own opinions. Some of you have boldly typed 'em on Trade. If you're making such false accusations, it's clear to me that you have some insecurity to hide within yourselves. Whether you realize this or not will forever be a mystery and will be a deciding factor in determining how mature you really are.

To the idiots that have trolled and have been trolled: please don't procreate. YOU are the kind I referred to above. By procreating, you'll only add to the moths that keep flying into the flames. Online, we know you as trolls. In real life, we know you as grade-A assholes. To me, you're nothing more than e-leeches, constantly looking for textual self-gratification. Your squabbling, self-absorbed, egotistical mannerisms automatically classify you as this Internet parasite. You can only live by taking in the responses people make to your nonsensical words of nothingness.

To the people who may say that I've been trolled: I have not. While I may have posted in response to people's provocations, I typed this response with a clear and concise mind, thoughts clear of emotions that may blind me from seeing something from another point of view.

In closing, I would just like to let you Trade trollers know that somewhere along this never-ending conversation, most of you have made hypocrites out of yourselves and have yet to own up to it. Quoting Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars (because whether you like it or not, we're all geeks in here): "Who's the more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Also: WTB Scarlet Boots. =P
The aftermath? I had people respond to me like crazy. Some decided to say I was a troll while some others said I wanted to be a troll. But the most important thing I got out of it was this:

I GOT THOSE BOOTS. Chariselle became sexier more awesome with 'em. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment