Monday, July 18, 2011

Headlines! A Filipino, His Bongo and The DREAM

Today's entry title is stylized like a semi-literal translation of an episode from a Japanese TV show. Mind you, there's no dub, so that's why the title appears as such.

In the event you have zero idea as to what any of those words in the title could be referring to, here's a breakdown list on what will (not) be talked about today[1]:
  • cheese
  • not cheese
  • Kababayan Fest 2011
  • basketballs
  • Operation: DREAM EATER
I know, I'm confusing. But you kinda knew that coming in here. *shrugs* Anyway, here's what today's entry title references:
Headlines
I figured it'd get your attention. It did, didn't it?
A Filipino
Kababayan Fest 2011 (the "Filipino Con" 2011 I sorta talked about on Saturday)
His Bongo
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time boss "Bongo Bongo"
The DREAM
Operation: DREAM EATER
That better now?





CURRENT MUSIC:
Halestorm - "Bad Romance (Lady Gaga Cover)"
ReAniMate: The CoVeRs EP

Great cover by Halestorm. In a way, I think it sounds a bit better than Lady Gaga's version. (Then again, rock's always trumped pop in my music preferences, but hey - you never know.)

What makes me laugh a bit is that every time I hear this, I have the urge to sing along. I'm going to end up subconsciously learning the lyrics or something now. If the original song begins playing somewhere and I sing along with enthusiasm, you now know why.


Ryo Kunihiko - "The Tower of Eternity"
Aion: The Tower of Eternity Original Soundtrack

Known by Aion players as the music for the original login screen, "The Tower of Eternity" did more than just welcome Aion's players to the game - it set the stage for a fantasy adventure to take flight into the unknown. I say "did" because from what I've heard, Aion changed its login screen and music for its first expansion (much like how World of Warcraft does for each of its expansions).

Anyway, I decided to give the soundtrack a shot while I did stuff today and I can't help but put this opening track on repeat. It quickly opens with a triumphant fanfare before going into a melodic set of strings that play what I would assume to be the Aion leitmotif. I have to say that Ryo Kunihiko (also known as Yang Bang Ean) did an amazing job composing the soundtrack for this game. Can't wait to listen to the rest of it.

I field-tested this earlier this morning to see how well it meshed with random tasks. I can tell you right now that it qualifies for a certain playlist that I have going on WinAmp and on my iPod. Said playlist has a bunch of music that makes mundane tasks such as driving to the gas station, using an ATM, groggily saying "Hello" to random strangers, and shopping seem more... heroic. Yeah. Heroic shopping. It sounds weird at first, but if you look epic, act epic and have equally epic background music playing whilst you shop (or anything, really), then it'll feel heroic. Just ask Batman.


Glenn Stafford, Derek Duke, Russell Brower and Neal Acree - "The Deal"
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Original Soundtrack

Anyone who's played StarCraft II knows this track, regardless of their knowledge of the soundtrack. Gamers not into the StarCraft games (or real-time strategies, in general) will still probably recognize this piece if they watch preview snippets or anything regarding game trailers and stuff.

Don't believe me? Watch the game's opening cinematic (which was used somewhat in that teaser video a year ago). Hehehehe.

Anyway, for those of you listening at home, fast-forwarding to 1:34 on the track is usually what's done - after all, that's the best part. Obviously this section works wonders with scenes involving construction and setting up some kind of plan. I wanna see if I can find a scene in a movie that would only become amazing with this music in the background.





Good night, readers! I know this entry's coming in rather late for today, but I was busy all day. Whee. So, without further ado, let's get started on what I wanna talk about today!





ID-Tagging this "Filipino Con 2011"
(IFF wasn't working before, and now it is. Yay.)

People obviously have realized by now that I never put any additional thing on Saturday's entry, nor did I slap additional entries and then mash them together. Probably because I had fun. Not in the sun, mind you - that star was murder.

Anyway, I did a bit more research on what the event was on the way there and I got the information I wanted. Called Kababayan Fest, the annual festival is purported as "the largest Filipino gathering in the West Coast [of the United States]." They travel from various locales from Vegas to California to even Hawaii, featuring food, music, entertainment and all-around Filipino culture. It's an event that brings out the inner pinoy/pinay in every Filipino that is around it, which is pretty cool.

That's right - I got to meet with the famed boxer, Manny Pacquiao!
(...well... sort of. *sighs*)
Fictitious celebrity meeting aside, as it was in Knott's Berry Farm, there was obviously more to do than just attend Kababayan Fest. I mean, come on - this is a theme park we're in. So my cousins and I hit the rides and hit the carnival games. While my luck in regards to games of chance isn't great, I did escape with some prizes.

Pay no attention to the Mario Kart-themed bedding.
Instead, pay attention to what's on the Mario Kart-themed bedding. =3
Yeah, a kamikaze bird and a minion from Despicable Me! MOAR STUFF to adorn my car's interior! =D (Special thanks to my cousin for winning me the Angry Bird! <3)

*clears throat* A-Anyway, that's that. As you can tell, I had a fun weekend. Moving on...!




A Fighting Rhythm
(Some random ditty involving a certain music-based boss...)

(Author's Note: I'll be delving into Ocarina of Time here, so for those of you who consider yourselves "lamers who don't play games" or if you were "OoT-deprived" in your childhood, then skip this section. You make me sad face.)

The Shadow Temple was never one of my favorite dungeons to go through in Ocarina of Time. I dislike it almost as much as I dislike the Water Temple. While the Water Temple annoys me with the multiple walls to blow up, the constantly annoying act of adjusting of the water level and the even more annoying act of pausing to switch the iron boots on and off, the Shadow Temple just confuses the fuck out of me. Between forgetting what rooms require the Lens of Truth, the lack of traction with the hover boots and the myriad of mysteries around every corner, I find the dungeon as a whole... very frustrating[2].

Despite all that, Bongo Bongo has always been one of my favorite bosses due to his uniqueness. Most bosses are usually faced in some open area in the middle of nowhere or an arena ground of some kind or the top of their fortress or the physical manifestation of their psyche or something like that. No, not Bongo Bongo. The "Phantom Shadow Beast" decides that he wants to fight you on his bongo drum of all places.

That alone makes the fight fun. However, I want to try fighting him (and going through the Shadow Temple, for that matter) without the Lens of Truth. It's possible but 150% tougher.

And the best part about the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time? Boss fight replays - I can go back and fight them! *replays the Bongo Bongo fight*





Cleaning!? "RUN AWAY!"
(The goggles do nothing!)

So in keeping with how I made day four of five a personal day to work on things I want to work on, I figured I'd work on parts of Operation: DREAM EATER. To make a long story short, I've been cleaning and attempting to work out.

I learned one thing after today: I am waaaaaaaay out of shape. Also, I think I might be a bit more hallucinatory due to bleach inhalation. Eep.

Back to the topic at hand. It feels good to work on parts of this. I wonder if I should dedicate tomorrow to other aspects of Operation: DREAM EATER. It'd be productive work on my part, and I'd actually be enjoying it. Most of all, I wouldn't be exposing myself to nasty chemicals while I do!

Yippee!





Footnotes:

1 ^ [Pre-Blog Opening] Pre-"The White Knight Chronicles" readers (aka: those who read my Facebook blog) will probably be facepalming now, as this list is reminiscent of an old pre-blog thing I threw on there called "What's (Not) Featured." It was a list of things I slapped on the start of an entry that may or may not be talked about to the readers (inspired by a humorous news post from Bungie's website years ago). Unless you knew me well enough, I could've be lying about every single thing I listed. As much as I'd love to put that on here again, I won't. While it DID help with keeping reader interest, I think the joke got old rather fast.

2 ^ [A Fighting Rhythm] And don't even get me started with those damn SUDDEN SKULLTULAS in that one corridor. I was playing through the Shadow Temple on Ocarina of Time 3D two weeks ago for the first time and totally forgot about those bastards. Eep.





Well, that about wraps up today's entry. Until the 'morrow, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment