Saturday, June 18, 2011

Super Chess Brothers

As much as I'd love to post something today, I'm a bit hesitant to.
This can be attributed to two things:
  1. I've been staring at my chessboard since I posted yesterday's entry.
  2. I felt like cooking food for lunch before I went to work.
As such, these have taken priority, so if you'll excuse me, I'll bid y'all adieu.
Tomorrow's a big day...!

*continues staring at the chessboard*





Okay, I'll give you a bit of a treat so that this entry doesn't seem all... short.
Perhaps you're wondering as to why the chessboard at home has gripped my attention so.

Well, here's why:

Oh, yeah. Ya' be jealous, mon.
Introducing the tools I'll be using to keep track of JOSH BLANCO vs. THE WORLD at home: the Super Mario-themed collector's chess set! What better way to do that than by using a fun chess set I can physically study at home?

Team Mario
Coin = Pawn; Toad = Rook; Yoshi = Knight; Princesses Peach & Daisy = Bishops; Luigi = Queen; Mario = King
(kindly ignore the Mario Kart-themed bedding in the background)
I figured that since I get to be awesome, I'd play as Team Mario (they'll be portraying White). Of course, they don't have to be White, but this is my collector's chess set. So, let's go ahead and introduce you to the rest of the cast... or rather, what y'all will be represented as when I study this game at home...

Team Bowser
Koopa Shell = Pawn; Goomba = Rook; Birdo = Knight; Magikoopa = Bishop; Bowser, Jr. = Queen; Bowser = King

So yes, you're all the baddies, but who knows? Maybe the fact that Bowser's piece is bigger than Mario's means that you'll trounce me? Or will my team just hop on those shells and kick your pieces' asses?

(taken from an actual game I recorded the moves for a couple years ago)
Last move played: 34...Bb7+
I honestly think... that anything goes. You guys might get lucky, but so could I...

Because something bad could happen at any given time, so you'd best be prepared. Unfortunately, my opponent from this game didn't prepare for his sudden downfall...

(Author's Note: Knowing how to read algebraic notation will be beneficial - both for JOSH BLANCO vs. THE WORLD and for reading this last segment.)

So, looking back on that picture, the last move played was by Black:

34...Bb7+
Despite being in check, I saw potential for checkmate in a few turns, so here's what happened...

35.d5 Bxd5+
And Black fell for my gambit. I have to assume that he was attempting to reinforce his already-protected knight at c4, but by greedily taking the d-pawn I advanced, he left his king wide open...

36.Rf3?
Honestly, I'm not sure if this was a good move on my part. However, 36.Kh2 would've led to something like 36...Nxf3+ 37.Kh3 Bg2+ 38.Kxg2 Nge3+ 39.Kf2 Nb6, and the last thing I'd want to do was give my opponent time to realize the precarious position he was in.

36...Nd2??
My guess is that Black saw an opportunity to score some material with a three-way fork. But as they say... greed will consume you whole.

37.Bd6# - Game Over.


37.Bd6#
Using Princess Daisy my remaining bishop I ended up double-checking Black by accident. Initially I remembered thinking it was only check (I wanted to gain some tempo by sacrificing my bishop to get those pesky knights out of my home court), but I had completely forgotten about my queen. With the rook on c8 occupying the king's only good flight square, it ended up being a checkmate. Huzzah. Another victory for the Mario Brothers White!





So, yeah... I kinda went "chess geek" on all of you, but now you see why - I have a super special awesome chess set. Hehehehe. Well, off to cook before I go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment