Thursday, September 1, 2011

Downloading Diorama

Good evening, everybody, and welcome to the first entry of the last trimester of 2011!

Now, as mentioned before, all the entries I post for September (including this one) will contain at least 1,000 words (barring footnotes and all pre-blog things). While that will definitely look like a mouthful of random sputterings and potential dorky-babble, it'll all count in the end.

*rubs hands together* Okay; here we go!





Diplomatic Benefits
(Did somebody say "free games?")

For those of you enrolled in Nintendo's 3DS Ambassador program, the ten NES games we're promised to have for free have officially been released! The moment I woke up, I logged online with my 3DS and grabbed 'em all!

Some of you might be unfamiliar with the Ambassador program and are probably asking one of two things (or both):
  1. What is the Ambassador program?
  2. What do you get for being an Ambassador?

Answers!
  1. The Ambassador program is an initiative set up by Nintendo to compensate anyone who purchased a Nintendo 3DS at its former retail price, $249.99 USD, before Friday, August 12, 2011 when the handheld system globally dropped its MSRP to $179.99 USD.
  2. Anyone who is registered with the Ambassador program gets 20 free games from the 3DS' online store. 10 of these games will be old NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) titles that will be pre-released for Ambassadors, while the other 10 will be old GBA (Game Boy Advance) titles that will be released exclusively for Ambassadors only.
Neato, huh? It pays to be a Nintendo fanboy at times. Hehehe. So, now that you know what's up, it's time you know what us Ambassadors get to taunt you other 3DS owners with. Nintendo said that the NES games would be available starting Friday, September 1... today. The GBA games will filter their way to us as 2011 comes to a close.

But enough exposition! You wanna know the games we Ambassadors are getting? Here's the list of NES games now downloadable for us cool folk (in alphabetical order):
  • Balloon Fight
  • Donkey Kong, Jr.
  • Ice Climber
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • [The Legend of] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • Metroid
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Yoshi
Personally, I think some of these games are titles I'd probably never touch in any other situation (come on... NES Open Tournament Golf?), but hey - a free game's a free game.

I came up with a list of what I would have preferred to see as our freebie games. I know that companies and licensing rights issues and all that jazz exists, so don't think I'm just some unintelligent fanboy blathering about and bitching some lame "OMG WHRE IS FNIAL FNATSY NINTEN-NOOBS!!1" comment. However, in a perfect world (controlled by me), I'd be able to get these games for the Ambassador Program...:

- 1942
A classic World War II-themed top-down shooter where you fly as a P-38 Lightning and gun down the squadrons of the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service. It was one of the first games I remember playing as a little kid, and I was a decent shot at the game.

- Castlevania
One of Konami's flagship franchises started with this game. I've never actually played it outright, but if this was offered, I'd give it a shot.

- Final Fantasy
Stories say that the classic RPG is what got Squaresoft skyrocketing upward in the late '80s. It'd be quite interesting to see how I'd fare on this game. Knowing my lack of skill in RPG games: probably not so well. Hey, who cares - I'd still own a piece of RPG history!

- Mega Man
One of Capcom's flagship franchises, the first of many games where a robot of good battles the robots of evil would be a very nice thing to see on the 3DS Virtual Console. Of course, that's yet to happen, so...

- Metal Gear
As a big fan of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, it would make quite a lot of sense as to why I'd want this. 'Nuff said.

- Super Mario Bros. 3
While Super Mario Bros. was very influential and popular, you can't forget its slightly younger and just-as-popular (if not more popular) sequel. It's one of my favorites - notably because when you get hit as a powered up Mario brother (i.e.: possessing a Fire Flower, Super Leaf, or any of the Power Suits) you revert to "Super Mario" (i.e.: Super Mushroom only) rather than being knocked down to regular Mario as in practically every other 2D Mario game. That... and the "Battle" mode. Hehehehe.

Of course, knowing how businesses run, I wouldn't be surprised if these games were to show up on the 3DS' online store. They'd make money because they know fans will buy them. I just might.



Regardless, I'm rather content with all this. Makes me feel all giddy inside and lets me play even more games that detract me from playing other games that I should be playing. =D





War is Hell
(What "God" does with the little Lego people...)

Some of you might be getting sick with all these Lego pics and vignettes I keep tossing up here. Well, that's a shame - I happen to like this stuff, and it helps foster the growth of my ever-growing imagination. You can definitely expect my future kids to be tinkering with these toys (and it probably wouldn't surprise you to hear that I'd retain all my Lego collections so they can enjoy them just like I do).

Anyway, I got bored today, so I took a few snapshots. Keep in mind that all these images were captured with my phone, so apologies in advance for the graininess, lack of focus, inadequate lighting and general suckitude. I think the content in the shots makes up for it though, but you be the judge of that.

"Press [Melee Button] to Remove Gun"
Maaan, look at this guy. Red bandana, war face, famed machine gun... I'm surprised he's not just going all Rambo on some bad guys right now...

FOOMP!
*radio static* "Howler, this is Lady Knight! Adjust fire mission: Right 250; Add 100; Fire for Effect!"

An SRDF Corporal grimaces as one of her subordinates is being treated for a gunshot wound.
Somehow I doubt that shot of morphine will help much...
I honestly don't know why that guy's screaming. I mean, he's got a medic attending to him, for Christ's sake. (Then again, I'd probably be screaming like that as well if I was gushing that much blood...) Besides, he should be considering himself lucky. He's alive...

Basic Lego vignette trick I used here: detaching minifig arms. Makes corpse-posing much more interesting...
...unlike his comrades-in-arms here.

Sometimes, you walk into an ambush. And sometimes, you walk into a field of fresh corpses.
I don't know which is worse.
...what the hell happened here!?





Well, that about wraps it up for tonight. I'll see you all tomorrow! *goes between his Lego stuff and the 3DS*

No comments:

Post a Comment