Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lunar Experimentation

As I sat here typing, I wondered... what is today? What is this blog? What... *points behind you* ...w-what the hell is that giant arachnid behind you!? I'll save you! *charges out of the camera's view, armed with his Nerf Vulcan*





CURRENT MUSIC:
Dali - "Moonlight Densetsu"
Sailor Moon & the Scouts: Lunarock

Yeah. You read that right. For those of you who wouldn't know (read: most guys and most girls who watched the dubbed version), this is the opening song used throughout most of Sailor Moon's run. Dali just happened to sing the one used for the first two seasons (because the song was a smash hit in Japan).

I'm currently working on finishing the first season, so it would make sense that this song would have some airtime on my laptop.


Hirokazu Tanaka - "Brinstar Depths"
Super Smash Bros. Melee Soundtrack

One of my favorite themes from the GameCube hit Super Smash Bros. Melee. Metroid fans probably know this one best as Kraid's original theme from the NES game (which I'm trying so very hard to beat - and sucking miserably at, by the way). There's a bit of loneliness and mystery infused in this song, which matches the desolate lair quite well, if I may say so.



"As for the future: your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."
- Antoine de Saint Exupery

There is a point to this quote. Far too many people out there dream of a brighter future in their own personal worlds of (often self-created) misery. Only those who realize that they're in the rut they're in because of themselves can begin to climb up. They'll find their own way and ensure that they attain the happiness they want.







*runs back onto the screen* ...A-afternoon, readers! Welcome to an afternoon of debauchery and disgrace happiness and harmony insanity and infidelity [some descriptive noun of your choice] and [some other descriptive noun that shares the same beginning letter as the previous descriptive noun and also is an antonym of said descriptive noun]! As your host, I'm beginning to wonder what it is this blog of mine represents.

There have been a lot of adjectives and metaphors used to talk about my blog, but my personal take on all this? Hope. Hope that I make it out there. Hope that I become popular. Hope that I bag myself a date on my upcoming vacation triumph over any adversity or "adversity" that comes my way.

Ah, well. Let's not dwell on that - we only want me thinking here for the time being, so unless I begin posting things involving opinionated opinions, hypothetical hypotheses, or factual facts, let's not dwell too much on things that don't require much dwelling.

Oh, and as for that arachnid that was behind you... uhm... *holds up a rather-broken possession of yours* ...it, uh... it looked like a spider. Ahehehe...





Thiiis Was Definitely Experimental
(But then again, it was also a start.)

It's no surprise that I love experimenting whenever I cook. To be frank, I don't think any of my recipes are ever the same - even when I cook the exact same thing twice. This variant lacks spice; that one has no vegetables; this batch was steamed with chicken broth; that one used water instead; this has traditional bacon; that one has turkey; this one's laden with pork; that one's kosher... the list can go on and on.

So today I decided to experiment by making a variant on instant ramen - in other words, I made it DELICIOUS (unlike the traditional variant). I cooked the noodles as per the packages's orders, and while I drained them I began sautéing chopped bacon, onion, and sausage. Once that was nearly done, I tossed the noodles into the frying pan and kept mixing it around, adding some soy sauce and spices and leaving it on the burner until I deemed it cooked.

The result? The noodles came out soggier than I wanted to (I was aiming for them being al dente); the entire batch seemed oversalted (while I used too much soy sauce, I did use a lot of meat, so it could be either or...); the onion didn't add as much flavor as I had hoped.

Despite these flaws, it's got potential. High potential. Maybe I need to learn how to actually cook noodles stir-fry style (where it's chewy enough to slurp down yet firm enough to give your meal a bit of a bite). Maybe lessen the soy sauce amount or ratio it with the amount of bacon. Heck, I could probably even add more vegetables and give it more of a robust flavor.

It's thoughts and suggestions like these that I give myself that make me wonder... and at the same time, it helps me realize I'm a good cook - or rather, I have the potential to.

All great artists have the capability out there - even the undiscovered ones around us. It just requires a bit of experimentation on their part and reinforced support from yours. If I encounter a budding artist, I'll be sure to give them some support. I mean, what kind of person would I be if I didn't?





Moonlight Broadcasting
(Because I have nothing better to discuss... or shove in your face. =D)

So after watching the first thirty episodes or so of Sailor Moon, I think I have one thing to say to the fans of the show:

Watch the Japanese version. SO much better than the dubbed versions that aired on Toonami.

The '90s certainly weren't friendly when it came to dubbing things from Japan. A running joke with those somewhat knowledgeable in television broadcasting is that you can get away with just about anything in Japanese television. DiC (the company who dubbed the first two seasons) and Cloverway (the company that dubbed the third and fourth seasons) cut quite a lot of content and changed some things around - most notably, the trimming of any "inappropriate" content (to the point where several episodes were removed), the shortening of each episode to fit more commercials (and you thought only current television did this, huh?), changing Zoisite (Zoycite in the dub) from male to female (to avoid the homosexual "relationship" between Zoisite/Kuznite (or Malachite in the dub), I guess), making Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune cousins instead of lesbian lovers (though - like Star Trek fans with Sulu - every fan realized and knew better), and the season finale where the Sailor Scouts and Tuxedo Mask are killed off (DiC deemed this too graphic and inappropriate and changed it so that the Scouts were merely knocked out and being held as hostages).

Laaaaame.

Yeah, I know - I got carried away there, but unfortunately, whenever I have a discussion about the famed magical girl series, most of the time, the other party's knowledge comes from the dubbed versions, so I guess it's up to me to help them somehow and expose them to the clearly superior original.

I feel your stares out there.

Ladies: I'm dead-serious. I'm watching the show right now (got at the point where Sailor Venus shows up and saves everyone from Zoisite and Kuznite's crafty plan) and enjoying it. And I'm not watching this and saying all this just to gain brownie points with you, either - I'm seriously enjoying the show.

Ladies who Think the Dub is The Way to Go: Mark my words: I will argue and debate (and probably "force" you to watch the subbed versions) until you realize the truth. *does Drebin 893's infamous "Eye. Have. You." hand gesture from MGS4*

Gentlemen who Wish to Confiscate my Man Card: First off, I know you have something to hide. It doesn't necessarily have to be involved with Sailor Moon, but I know that if everyone were to find out, you'd probably be more emasculated than I am. Secondly: I don't care. At least I can be honest with myself about things like this. And thirdly: you no can has man card. Nyah.

Well, all I know is that I have something to watch next week when I'm on vacation.





Now, as I have work tonight, I must cut this short and bid y'all adieu. So, until the 'morrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment