Thursday, September 15, 2011

Shortcutting

You know, I almost forgot to post something on here for today. I've been spending it kicking back and relaxing with not a care in the world.

Okay, that's a lie. I haven't spent the day kicking it back and relaxing. Mind you, what I did probably wouldn't be considered as "relaxing."

I've been cleaning up my laptop in an attempt to keep internal things organized and just plain simpler to navigate. Take my desktop and taskbar, for instance:

What my laptop's desktop looks like @ a 1440x900 resolution.
The picture? My current Lego avatar of me - on horseback. With an M-1 Garand. Looking epic.
And yes, you're reading WinAmp right - I was listening to the music from Beauty and the Beast. I love that movie.
If you're going to bash me on using Vista, go ahead - I welcome it. I'm not a fan, either, but that's what my laptop came installed with. If I had the money, I'd buy Seven. I'm digressing here; let's move on.

This is quite an interesting way of organizing a desktop. Like I said, it makes it much more easier to navigate, and it lets people know you mean business. Also, it leaves your background easy to be viewed. But what about the taskbar? How everything's there with a few moments of mouse-hovering and maybe two simple clicks? I personally love it.

Surprisingly, it's not that hard to do. Anyone with basic computer knowledge (read: "anyone who doesn't use a Mac" =P) is capable of organizing their desktop and taskbar like this. To those of you who don't know (or would rather be told), here's how:



DISCLAIMER: Some of you will have different operating systems, layouts, icons, folder view options and other miscellaneous things that will differ than mine. That's okay. Generally speaking, though, most Windows operating systems are the same, so these directions should work for those who don't have a crap-ass thing like Vista. *shrugs*



1.) Create a new folder in a convenient location.
For those of you who are computer-illiterate, this is done by bashing your head in with a soldering iron right-clicking anywhere on the Desktop and then navigating the menu like the picture below. I prefer the Desktop itself, and as such, I called it "DESKTOP." Call it what you want, though - this ain't my computer we're organizing here.

Here's a snapshot for you visual learners.
For the sake of brevity, my folder is already up - that lone icon in the top-left corner named "EXAMPLE LOL" is it.
Got it? Good.

2.) Open your desktop folder and create any necessary sub-folders.
Again, this isn't my computer, so I don't know what you'll be using. Here's a list of starter categories of things I'd expect random people to find significant enough to warrant a shortcut:
  • Various (High-Traffic) Folders in the Computer
    Navigating through certain parts of the computer almost every time you're on it? This'll come in handy.
  • Priority Files
    Working on a term paper? Tracking your finances on a spreadsheet? Editing a huge block of HTML?This is the folder for you.
  • Computer Games
    Although the average PC gamer has one or two of their most favorite games on the Quick Launch bar, there's still other games they'll visit occasionally. This is for those games.
  • Programs
    Same concept as the games folder - college students don't use just Microsoft Office applications. Visual artists don't just use Photoshop and aspiring movie makers don't use only CeltX or Sony Vegas - there's other apps they'll use for that random non-profession-related task they have to take care of.
  • PC Maintenance Software
    All technology requires occasional maintenance lest it suddenly break down on its user(s). Computers are the same way. If you possess any anti-virus software or defragmentation programs (because Lord knows Vista's defragger sucks), it's a good idea to throw them here.
Yeah, I got carried away - I made up a bunch of silly example folders.
Pay close attention to the one I have highlighted...
Create them until you're satisfied with what you got.

3.) For each folder, create shortcuts for all things necessary.
Pretty simple, but I know some of you out there still need me to hold your hand. Don't be embarrassed - we all had to learn sometime, didn't we? As an example, we'll go ahead and put something in the "~ NOT the Nuclear Button ~" folder.

- Find whatever it is you're gonna stick into whatever folder you're working on. Right-click it and hit "Copy" (or for you savvy folks: "Ctrl+C").

Nuclear launch detected. Oh, and can anyone guess where the background here is from?
In this case, we'll be using this random picture of a nuclear fireball here.

- Open the folder you're working on. Right-click it and hit "Paste Shortcut."

Things like this are so simple, it makes me wonder why my computer decides to facepalm itself as I explain it...
- Voila!
And your actions are blessed by Jesus Optimus Prime, as this alternate mural demonstrates. Yeaaaaah, boi.
See? Not so difficult. If necessary, you can rename the shortcuts so you can spot them easier or ID them more quickly. Can... can you let go of my hand now? I think you're cutting off the blood flow...

4.) Repeat Step 3 until all desired shortcuts are in all desired folders.
For the sake of brevity, I decided against making a gazillion fake shortcuts. The only other folder I'll toy with is the "1337" one.

In Soviet Russia, mouse click YOU!!
5.) Create the new Toolbar. Right-click the taskbar and navigate "Toolbars ==> New Toolbar..."

This part may be tricky depending on your operating system...
Simply navigate your way to your folder and select it. If done correctly, it should show up on the right-most side of your taskbar.

Oh, just look at that almost-finished shortcut bar. Ain't it pretty?
6.) Move your new fancy toolbar until it's in the desired location. Stare at yourself in awesomeness when done.

PACQUIAO PAUNCH! You're done!
Your toolbar may be locked, preventing you from moving it around. Simply right-click the taskbar and uncheck "Lock the Taskbar."

A WORD OF CAUTION: If your hand isn't steady when dragging these menus around, you MIIIIGHT accidentally alter your taskbar's appearance. Don't ask me for help on that; I'm too lazy (and somewhat mean =P) to help you.





Yes, I'm aware of the fact that you've noticed that my desktop wallpaper kept changing in each picture. I have horrible ADD with the thing - I change it almost daily. Maybe it's 'cause I like seeing different things every day? I 'unno.

Well, that'll be it for today. Hopefully your shortcut bar turns out as cool as mine. Until the 'morrow, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment