Thursday, September 19, 2013

Processing the Laptops

I'm currently in the final processes of transferring any important files from Old Faithful to the silver. This is a massive transfer - Windows 8 is clocking an ETA of 40+ minutes before completion. To those of you wondering how modern technology can be that solow: yes, I'm transferring that much data.

Two laptops can really occupy a lot of desk space.
Surprisingly, the silver has proven itself to be quite a formidable laptop. It's getting close to the point where it just may permanently take over work as the lead laptop... leaving Old Faithful to become an auxiliary. As sad as I am to say that, it's almost time for me to retire the behemoth desktop replacement. As I mentioned before, the black laptop has been in service since the middle of 2009 - far past the average lifespan of your average laptop. (I think it's due to my care and treatment - it was essentially my baby.)

And believe it or not, I've also begon to get used to the messy OS that is Windows 8. *le gasp* I've learned a few tips and tricks to help make things useful and sacrificed some precious time learning how to adapt certain things to others. For example. that change to how default programs work in 8? A real pain in the ass... but at least I got VLC and KMPlayer as my prioritized video players rather than that "app."

There's just a few more files and "tests" I have to run, but that'll be in due time. I'm still wondering if the silver can run games like World of Warcraft and StarCraft II. This thing surprisingly played Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 despite SystemRequirementsLab saying otherwise (granted, all the graphics are at a bare minimum...), so who knows what could happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment