Saturday, June 23, 2012

Breakfast Mate

I have an idea. What if we took this blog entry and combine it with some other entry's draft? Make a super entry or something?

Alas, that's what happened here, but the draft that was used combined one short entry with another short entry, but I think it's better-looking than what it could have been.

So prepare, my friends... prepare for a delicious defeat in more ways than one.





There were a bunch of things I could've had for breakfast. That "bunch of things" included:

Just guess what I ended up picking.
Of all the possible things I could've had for breakfast, I decided to go with "egg, bacon, and Spam" and tacked on some garlic rice. Mmm-mmm... good cookin'!

Why this? Well, it's the weekend. That means I'm going to be working (even if I don't want to) and I'll need the energy to get through the day. That's what this meal will provide. Not only that, but I made enough of the stuff for me to have a light lunch, a hearty dinner, and even breakfast for tomorrow! It saves me money!





Which brings us to several days ago. (I don't know how.) Earlier this month I had posted a snapshot of a chess game I had going on at work. A few days later, that match came to a close as I delivered the final maneuvers to achieve victory.

This is looking grim, isn't it?
For those of you who didn't click the callback link, the board was situated as above. I (as White) had just played 25.e6! and left my co-worker to debate on what to do as a response. When we finally had time to finish this game, we continued:
25...g5
26. Rad1 gxf4
27. Bd4
...and now it's gone to something more morbid.
Now, this poses a problem for Black. White threatens 28.Qa7+, which can lead to a very bad downhill spiral no matter how Black responds. However, I was caught by surprise when Black's response had me wonder: "Is he paying attention to his doom at all? Or is he focusing on some counter-offensive that won't come to fruition?"
27...fxg3?
28. Qa7+
Black only has two responses to this - 28...Kc8 and 28...Kc7 - and neither of them are favorable. Moving the king to c8 causes him to lose a rook (via 28...Kc8 29. Qa8+ Kc7 30.Qxe8) and leaves him without any deployed defenses in the back ranks.

However, my opponent took the latter option, which ended up being worse.
28...Kc7
29. Bb6+ Kd6
30. Qa3! c5
31. Qxc5#
Game over.
Aaaaaaaaaand this leaves White as the victor. Good game, though. (If it makes you feel any better for Black, our current game record stands at 2-1 with him in the lead.)





Until the 'morrow, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment