Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Persuasion Roll of 20

Okay, so I lied. Today's entry will not consist of speed and video games as I said it would yesterday. Matter-of-fact, it's not going to consist of much at all.

Anyway, y'all know how easily sidetracked I get, right? I mean, one minute I'll be talking about why I'm writing this particular scene out and then the next I'll be describing in great detail why Espeon is the greatest Eeveelution in the world... and then afterwards I'll be ranting about the greatest slice of cheese pizza in the world. It could be anything random like that.

Except it's not that. Those of you who've been here for a while know why I'll never jump from writing to Pokémon to *shudder* cheese pizza.

And it's not that because... well, none of those three things were involved at all. No, something sillier was involved. Something that consumed most of my day and had me laughing (or at the very least amused) althroughout.

Ten foot laser pole not included.
What if the magic and awesomeness that is Star Wars never existed in our world? What if instead the whole thing was a crazy tabletop role-playing game made up by some guy and the main protagonists are played by player characters?

Ladies and gentlemen: I present to you Darths & Droids, a webcomic series that answers those questions. Inspired by another webcomic that did the exact same thing except with Lord of the Rings (DM of the Rings), it presents the mythos of Star Wars in a humorous light that actually seems to make sense out of some of the ridiculous things we saw in the prequels. Instead of going with what the Game Master has planned, however, the players instantly go off the rails and all Hell breaks loose, creating their own story that somehow matches the visuals of the movies quite perfectly.

It's going through the series in chronological order (meaning they started at Episode I), and they're still at it, currently playing through Episode IV. I'm going to tell you right now that it got me hooked. It got me hooked so much because not only do I enjoy the occasional tabletop RPG, but I've actually played a Star Wars themed one once a few years ago. (If I remember right, he was a male Cerean in his twenties - a professional slacker and wannabe-hacker "drafted" by one of the other PCs.) It's riddled with so many jokes that the average roleplayer will get, and cracks many a joke at the franchise's expense (in a loving manner, of course).

And because I've spent the entire day reading the whole thing (I started from the first comic sometime before I left this morning), it's not only diminished my time spent on writing that Mario Kart entry that was supposed to be here today, but it also inspired me to somehow make my own campaign. (I had one in the works a while back, but like all of my projects, it got sent to the backburner. Why I do this: I still don't know.)

Day well spent, I'd say. Although I'm very, very sure there was something else I was supposed to be doing... something apart from working on that blog entry... something elemental...

Anyway, I'll see what I can do about getting that other entry finished by tomorrow. No promises - I might run into something sillier than this. (Or work might call me in early. *shrugs*)

No comments:

Post a Comment