Friday, March 15, 2013

Mapping Out a Future War

I was taught that characters are the most important part of a story. It makes sense, really - boring characters contribute to a boring story, which contribute to a boring book, movie, show, or what-have-you. To a writer, that would mean that there'd be no one to read it - and to the writer wishing to strike it big (be it monetary, fame, or a combination of the two), a boring project gives them the exact opposite.

And this is how wars are started: by figuring out the geography of the enemy's land.
However, that's not what I'm working on today. Instead of fleshing out characters that will become heroes, villains, or both, I'm drawing out the geographical setting of the world that this story will be taking place in. I already have a semi-decent idea of the characters and what happens for the first part of the story, but I have yet to figure out how the terrain will affect the characters' actions.

Yes, I'm letting the lay of the land affect this story due to the fact that I'm trying to work on a war epic. As such, details such as these miiiiiiiiiiiiiight be necessary for the story. Hehehe.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're pretty much on the right track, but for some of the best stories written the authors wrote an entire history of the world, geography, etc. and put a book or two's worth of work into the world, THEN went back and wrote some stories inside the world to make a book.

    ReplyDelete