Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The August Front

August is now officially here. Like the start of last August, I've succeeded in keeping all my entries posted on time thus far, and I have the feeling that it's going to be an interesting month (if not entertaining).

"Don't Forget to Do Good" is what this rock's message reads. The story behind this goes that one of my co-workers found this while zoning in our toys department over a year ago. Whether it was accidentally abandoned due to negligence by a guest or deliberately left behind in an attempt to promote positive thinking is something worth pondering about.
Unlike last August, however, this one promises to be even more memorable and ridiculously awesome than the other one. And somehow, I can tell that it'll be a good August this time around. (That's not to say that last August was bad - this one just holds more promise.)

So let's go off and have ourselves a war against last August - against monotony and dullards across the globe! Let's make this battle month a memorable one filled with camaraderie and entries! Let's perform good things and vanquish evil ones!





CURRENT MUSIC:
Megumi Toyoguchi - "Succeeded Wish"
Valkyria Chronicles Original Soundtrack


For those of you who've played Valkyria Chronicles, you know this song. It's been embedded in your heart and has left a mark of bittersweet hope - and it's proof that this game is very memorable.

For those of you who haven't played the PS3 game, it's definitely something you should try out. This song actually won't present itself until at least midway through the game, but when you hear it in-context with the game's plot, you'll see why.



While the track is excellent as is (Megumi Toyoguchi did a fantastic job with the vocals, and that stringed opening... Gods, that's amazing), I think it really shines as an instrumental. There's something about this particular song that really captures the whole of Valkyria Chronicles - the courage, trust, persecution, hate, and blooming love presented throughout the game. And when you combine it with the beautiful visuals (as provided to us via the game's opening as seen above), it tells the story far better than I could ever hope to recite.




"These events would tell a story of tragedy hidden in the mists of time. A story of courage and of trust, of persecution and hate, and of love blooming - even through the flames of war. What follows is a record of this conflict, and of those who fought, lived, and died."
- Irene Koller (On the Gallian Front)
(Valkyria Chronicles)

These words play a small part in Valkyria Chronicles' opening narration. While I may not be fighting in a war or be involved in a burning conflict of some kind, the opening just seems to fit the overall atmosphere August is giving me. I want to write better entries for this month, and I know I want to make this month special because of that.

So, in essence, this month will tell a story of jovial happiness shrouded in lethargic happenstance. A story of life and those experience it, of tortuous jobs and vacations hard-earned, and of a month so little thought of - even though many birthdays are seen during those times. What follows this is a recorded history of August 2012, and of those whose lives I've taken a part of.

(Just hush. =P)





Happy August 2012, readers! Welcome to today's edition of The White Knight Chronicles, where I sincerely hope you'll enjoy the read. (That is, if you don't skim this entry. I know who you are. *joking glare*)

Anyway, there's much to talk about before I head off to work, so let's go hop to it.





Responding to Big News
(Because why do this on Facebook when I can pull in more readers do it all here?)

I'm fairly certain that most of you reading this right now came from the link I posted on Facebook. Unsurprising, seeing as how my blog's traffic is usually increased when I post a link to here on there.

However, I'm sure most of you might be reading this because of the initial location where I posted said link - the one involving a certain status update from yesterday.

I don't know how anypony could miss this. I mean, it's apocalyptic and entertaining!
So, for those of you who don't have a Facebook weren't on for the majority of yesterday, didn't read yesterday's endearing entry, live under a rock, or just decided to log on the Internet for the first time in a while and for some reason decided to check up on stalk me (or any combination of the above) for any big news, I'm currently in a relationship.

Yeah - big news, indeed.

Truth be told, this relationship has been going on for the past month (look back at June 29 and tell me that my sudden mood swing isn't horrendously obvious). I've dropped a few (not-so-)subtle hints here and there in the vain hopes that someone would be able to pick up on it. (The former link had the word "girlfriend" neatly tucked in amidst the wall of text, and the latter had the phrase "very special somepony" italicized and somewhat easy-to-spot.) We found it amusing that nopony picked up on it, and at the same time we wondered when it would be a good time to go "Facebook" official about it.

I guess it becomes big news and gossip the moment the news hits a social network website such as Facebook. As such, when we decided to make it "Facebook" official yesterday, it exploded and people began liking and commenting on this - both on her Facebook profile and on mine.

Now, after seeing all the commentary and what not online (48 likes and multiple comments scattered across our profiles), I was tempted to respond to it all (at least the ones on my profile), but I realized that it would be completely disheveled and chaotic trying to get everyone to read it. So rather than make a horribly long response that nopony would read on Facebook, I decided to just respond to people on here. Plus, it doubles as a shout-out to people who commented, and at the same time it kind of helps promote my personal blog (win-win, really).

Anyway, without further ado, I think it's time to respond to y'all. *clears throat*

(Author's Note: All responses are in order of who commented first. Last names have been left out for privacy reasons, but I'm sure y'all will know who you are.)

Joey
Leave it to you to start with the "awws" and what not. Like I don't get enough of those from you at work already. *chuckles and facepalms*

David
Oontz oontz oontz oontz! At least I have music that actually captures the sound just right. Oh, and expect me to finally use that pre-birthday present sometime tonight after I get off work. Might be a while before Erfrischen gets herself transferred to Ravenholdt, though - still working up the funds to do so. But once she's there, expect me to tank things. Lots of things.

Quincee
To be honest, cuz, I'm probably (still) as shocked as you are (in a good way). And yes, you can meet her when you're back in town. Speaking of which, when is that going to be? Hopefully sometime soon - we haven't hung out in ages.

Nathan
Kudos for having the comment that received the most likes. And to respond to your "despondent" all-caps outburst: apparently, what we wasn't special enough to me. *maniacal laughter* Aren't you just jealous? *sadistic smirk*

Evan
Thanks, Evan. So what's this you were talking about involving Warcraft III Oh, and more importantly: have you introduced the group to the zombie survival map we used to play?

Wil
That emoticon probably summarizes about 83% of the public's reactions when they first heard or read about this news. As for calling you... I don't think I have your number. There's an 83% chance that I lost it (yet again), so, uh... *embarrassed look*

Carrie
Thanks, Carrie. Pretty much everyone's been supportive and happy for the two of us (those who haven't are just joking with their antagonism). Glad to see you're "pretty much everyone." =D

Gene
Thanks, Uncle. And who knows? Perhaps one of these days I might bring her over. Anything fun and exciting happening during the middle of August?

Sarah
And what: I'm supposed to go for someone who isn't "normal?" What is "normal" by today's standards, anyway? Is "normal" even normal anymore? *goes into a joke semi-philosophical rant and lets off a hearty laugh at the end of it*

Lauren
Yeap. *sage nod* "Facebook" official. Figured it'd had been enough time by now between "official" official and "Facebook" official, so we decided "What the heck?" As for what's next? *laughs insanely hard* Oh, geez, I don't know. I figure we'll let time take its course and see what happens. (I think I've been asking that question since the beginning. *grins*)

Robert
Yeah... it is a sign of the apocalypse. Although with the current state of the world, I'm not really caring about that. Plus, there's still some other signs that need to be completed, and I'm pretty sure the United States isn't about to annex a 51st state just yet.





Musical Dexterity Training
(It begins with a book and a cheap-ass keyboard.)

Some of you may remember that extremely long New Year's resolution list I made back in January and how I said I wanted to learn a new piano piece. Well, after seven months of not really doing anything about it, I decided to remedy the situation and inspire myself to play something.

Yeah. See this? This is an awesome book filled with awesome sheet music.
I got a call from Barnes & Noble yesterday saying that a book I had ordered had arrived at the store. I arrived there and picked it up - and now I'm ready to try to tackle this New Year's resolution.



As can be seen with the photograph and the embedded YouTube video here, the piece I decided to try learning was Bear McCreary's "Battlestar Sonatica" from Battlestar Galactica. While "Futatsu no Kodou to Akai Tsumi" by ON/OFF would have been a lovely choice, there's no official location for me to procure the sheet music (as far as I know, at least), and Battlestar Galactica has more of a reach (in terms of fanbase size) than Vampire Knight.

I now have sheet music. I'm ecstatic and excited. The piece itself is going to be challenging, but hey - challenges are great. And in this time of war August, I could make do with some kind of task to get myself started on before my 23rd birthday hits. Challenge accepted.





Well, I must get going. I hope this has been an interesting read for you. Thanks for the comments (on Facebook), everyone, and I'll see y'all on the 'morrow! *gets ready for work*

3 comments:

  1. Haven't get shown them afterlife! But I already have it downloaded, I'm waiting until the time is right. You gonna join us yet? We seem to have fallen into a pattern of playing every monday and tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yet*. Anyway, does she play warcraft?

      AND WHERE WERE YOU DURING HUMANS VS ZOMBIES?

      Delete
  2. When are you redeeming that freaking time card, we gave it to you early so you can play NOW!

    ;)

    <3 Mike

    ReplyDelete