Monday, December 5, 2011

Avenging Gales

Winds of confusion -
the weather of December
is quite so strange, yes?






CURRENT MUSIC:
Mario Galaxy Orchestra - "Wind Garden"
Super Mario Galaxy Original Soundtrack Platinum Version


One of these days, I'm going to make a Top Ten list that involves the subject of "My Favorite Video Games EVAR" or something like that. Super Mario Galaxy is most likely going to be on that list. I've mentioned before that one of the key factors that makes me like a game or not is the music - and Galaxy sports that in spades. This particular track is used as the theme to the Gusty Garden Galaxy - and as such, you'd expect nothing but strong winds to carry you from planetoid to planetoid - and all the while, you're just awe-struck by how well the aural tones match the gorgeous scenery.

I thought this track to be fitting for how today's going - at least for us denizens of southern California. It's windy where I'm at, but at the same time, it's a fantastically bright and sunny day. Plus, this track's just amazing for this kind of feeling, no?


Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori - "The Gun Pointed at the Head of the Universe"
Halo Original Soundtrack


Some days, you need to just go against whatever's coming your way and begin a journey that will be long and arduous. When that happens, you need to be prepared. You need to know how long the journey will be. You need to accept the risks involved with this undertaking. Most importantly, you need to have the music that fits the trek's theme.

In today's case, Halo: Combat Evolved's "The Gun Pointed at the Head of the Universe" does just that. It signals the beginning of an aural journey - one that we know is far from over but far from hopeless at the same time. Fittingly, this track appears in-game in scenarios like that.

So as I begin today (or leave for today), this'll be blaring in my car as well as my laptop. Not just because Mister O'Donnell and Mister Salvatori composed awesome music for the first game of a franchise - but because I'm ready to kick some (metaphorical) ass today. It's a shame I don't have a Warthog to cruise down the 101 with...





Afternoon, ladies and gents. I have a bit of time, and I don't have a bit of time at the same time. Confusing? Yes. Truthful? Yes. Sane? ...not so much.

Now, as this entry is fresh off the stove, please take care not to scald yourself with any inconsistencies and flabbergasting you may find here.
Anyway, daylight's burning! Let's hop to it while there's still light in my part of the world!





Winds of [Insert Emotion/Noun of Your Choice Here]
(Because we all deserve to make this day how we want it to be. I choose "Marvelous Wonders.")

Anyway, it's been pretty windy today out here where I live. The gusts are actually strong enough to set my car alarm off. (Whether that's a bad sign for the weather or a bad sign for internal security has yet to be determined.) Now, I don't find this weather to be intrusive or horrible. Not at all. I'm just curious over the fact that it's December and yet we're getting these gales.

To those of you who also live in southern California: I'm well aware of how the Santa Ana winds work. It's just that the last few years or so were spent facing these winds around the early stages of autumn. I don't seem to recall any incidents of encountering winds this late in the year (despite knowing that Santa Ana winds can occasionally perk up this time of year as well). I don't know - it just caught me off-guard.

Still, though, it's nice and sunny. I actually spent some time today just basking outside, relaxing in the sun. After adjusting to the winds, it turned out to be a rewarding experience. I'm happy I got to get a little nice slice of life like this before going in to work tonight - because we all know how it's going to be, right?





Repressed Emotions That Assassinate an Individual's Levelheadedness
(What; you didn't know that's what retail stood for?)

If you ever wonder what goes through a retail worker's mind when they're presented with a dumb question, it looks something like this. Yes: we're rebooting our minds because we can't comprehend the stupidity just presented to us. It's... illogical.
So long as it's December, retail workers across the Christmahaunakwanzaka-celebrating worlds (...and Texas) will have to endure the worst emotions in people, a crippled economy that strips them of their hours (assuming they're in America and not on salary), the verbal abuse of people whose twisted logic makes me look sane(r), and the enforcement of regulations that make me want to regurgitate rainbows and butterflies.

Before you ask about that last part: yes, I had a lot of sugar this morning. *shrugs*

Anyway, if anything, each holiday season is an experience into the fallacies of humankind. Of course, with today how it is, I've learned to take that to my advantage - and of course, I'm twisting that advantage into something else entirely.

Retail © Norm Feuti
I decided to vent about it. A few days ago I bought a composition book (college ruled, because I want the space for all the words) and I've been writing into it whenever a fallacy introduces itself to me yet again (usually at work). Now, until thing's like the Poké Ball or Capsule Corporation's Hoi-Poi capsules become a reality, I can't carry the thing with me to write things down as they unfold on the spot, but that's where memory and a smaller composition book come into play.

Oh, yes. I'm writing my own manifesto. Granted, I have no idea why I'm doing it - but it gives me something to work on and something to edit when I get some major downtime. At the same time, I don't keep my bottled-up anger and frustrations at the retail world (guest- and corporate-wise) bottled up - and that helps keep me sane and happy for the rest of us to enjoy.

Will you get to see this manifesto? Play your cards right, and you just might.





Well, that's going to be it for today. I've got to do some errands before work, so I'll be seeing ya' tomorrow with another entry. Stay awesome, stay cool, and more importantly: stay sane.

*flies away riding a Viper Mark II*

No comments:

Post a Comment