Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sick Emblem on the End

A day off is no longer a day off when you're sick. *sneezes*





CURRENT MUSIC:
Philip Glass - "Metamorphosis One"
Solo Piano


Quite an interesting piece, if I may do say so myself. Of course, some of you may recognize this even though you may not follow music in a style like I do. For those of you familiar with music composers, the name might sound familiar because of the whole "is his (earlier) music considered as minimalist?" "controversy" surrounding him. For those of you familiar with Battlestar Galactica, you probably recognize the music from a season two episode, where Karl "Helo" Agathon and Kara "Starbuck" Thrace, stranded on Caprica, decide to rest for a few hours in Starbuck's nearby apartment. Starbuck pops a tape into her radio, and "Metamorphosis" begins playing.

If you're familiar with movie scores, "Metamorphosis One" may sound familiar - particularly if you've watched The Truman Show. It bears an uncanny resemblance to some of the pieces in the movie, and for good reason - Glass also composed part of the music in it.


Bear McCreary - "Violence and Variations"
Battlestar Galactica: Season 3 Original Soundtrack


I find it weird how often music with romantic undertones ends up being played whenever I want ambient thinking or working music. Yes, this is supposed to be a romantic piece, despite the title. (When you consider what's seen in the episode, it makes sense.) "Violence and Variations" plays on the love theme (and the romantic tension) between Starbuck and Lee "Apollo" Adama, being overheard as the two are engaged in a rough and (dare I say:) rather violent boxing match, with flashbacks showing some spoilers I'm too lazy to censor.

When you listen to "Violence and Variations" you can hear the tension and the love in the music. Because nothing says "I think I have feelings for you" like music played over a brutal boxing match, right?





Evening, everyone. *coughs* Now, I know I'm supposed to have something great for y'all up here today, but with me contracting... well, whatever it is that got me sick... I've little choice but to take it easier than I normally do. Which means... today's entry will be not-so-great.

Don't judge me. *sneezes*





Down With The Sickness
(And while it's awesome, I don't mean the Disturbed song.)

When you wake up in the morning and notice that you feel like crap for no good reason, one of two things could be possible:
  1. You woke up from a terrifying nightmare that involved (grievous) (bodily) harm and/or death. It seemed a little too real...
  2. You've contracted something all of a sudden, and odds are the symptoms decided to show up after you fell asleep the night before.
Today, I felt under the weather for the latter reason. I remember waking up with this sudden urge to sneeze. Violently. After I recovered I realized that I had a stuffy nose and that my upper body felt sore. The back of my throat just felt raw and scratchy. Worst of all, I didn't feel like getting up to run the errands I had to do today.

So I just lied there, wondering what I'd do with myself. After allowing myself to doze off and gain another hour of sleep, I then decided that I'd just take it easy for however long I'm to be in this sickened state.

That could be a good thing - I've been in need of some relaxation time, and now that I have it, I think I'm going to take it. Granted, this would've been much more relaxing for me had I not been sick, but you have to take the good with the bad.





Tactical Picture Deployment
(Or: "How Fire Emblem is making this sick day much more bearable.")

So after pondering on what I'd be doing now that I'd be snuggling up sick and relaxed, I decided, "I'm going to work on Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones today."

How Sacred Stones looks on a Nintendo 3DS. Squee.
Nearly eight hours later and I'm already kicking ass like I used to with strategy and tactical games. I had been playing it for some time after receiving it via the Ambassador Program, but today takes the cake in terms of gaming sessions. To prove my point, here's a photo taken from my 3DS' activity log:

Yeah. I love this game.
Yerps. And seeing as how I'm only at Chapter 10, I got some serious gaming going on tonight before I go to sleep.





...yeah. This'd be the part where I'd post more, but... eh. Sick.

Until the - *sneezes* ...'morrow? *weakly smiles*

1 comment:

  1. I spent most of my sick day (Monday) sitting on the couch watching Battlestar Galactica. It was a good day despite the fact that I felt like crap. -W.K.

    ReplyDelete