Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Quick Writes and Foods

Food is amazing, isn't it? The way it tastes, the way it smells, the way it looks... and yet they come in so many flavors, scents, and appearances. It's awesome, and as such, there's a story regarding food that I'd like to regale to you tonight. It's a short and quick little ditty, but the food results are simplistically satisfactory.





So before I went to work yesterday I began to prepare my lunch. My original plan was to make a whole bunch of sandwiches and haul them with me to work, but that seemed to be a bit too... boring. And as you know: I'm Josh Blanco, and I don't believe in boring food.

The problem was that I was also feeling a bit lazy at the time, and as such I didn't feel like preparing something fancy. At the same time, I didn't feel like spending money getting fast food. So, what did I do? I grabbed a bunch of foodstuffs from my fridge and brought it all with me to work.

Unfortunately, when I arrived, I didn't have enough time to look through my bag of food. I had to clock in within ten minutes' time, and I needed lunch fast. Then I noticed that some of the food matched nicely together. So I took some of the foodstuffs out, threw them together, and I ended up with...



...a quickwrap! Pardon the name - I came up with it to combine the basic kind of food design with the stat on how much time it takes to make one of these. It's so surprisingly simple and easy to work with, and the best part is that the ingredients are practically interchangeable with whatever you want.

So, without further ado: another "recipe" for you: the quickwrap!





Quickwrap
(Fast to make; fast to eat; fast to satisfy!)

I don't take credit at all for these things - I'm pretty sure a lot of people out there have had ideas about throwing things into a tortilla long before I did.

Now, when I said that the ingredients were practically interchangeable, I really meant it. They're also quite optional, too. Listed below will be the set of ingredients I used for my quickwraps (mostly because they're the cheapest ingredients available to me at the time), but feel free to swap them out with what you want at your own discretion to make your quickwrap delicious! (The ones I used will be inside brackets.)

EQUIPMENT:
  • microwave (optional)

MATS:
  • 2 tortillas (10" diameter - any kind will do) [flour]
  • 4-6 oz. meat (cooked, cut/torn into chunks/pieces) [bologna slices]
  • spread [chipotle mayonnaise]
  • assorted sauces and spices [mustard, Sriracha, garlic powder]
  • cheese (optional) (shredded) [Mexican-style four cheese blend]
  • salad in a bag
  • salad dressing [Italian]

DIRECTIONS:
1.) Spread Sauce Base on Tortillas



Simple enough. Put down enough of each. Mix 'em together and spread it out as evenly as you can on the tortillas.

2.) Throw Meat (and Cheese) Down



You remembered to tear those pieces of meat into pieces, right? No? Well, do it now! Afterwards, do the same with the cheese.



2.5.) (OPTIONAL) Nuke the Tortillas



This is a no-brainer. Nuke the tortillas until (the cheese is just melted and) the tortilla is easier to manipulate. (At the time, my tortillas were stored in the fridge, and thus weren't so pliable. Warming them up helps.)

3.) Add Vegetables and Dressing



Greens are nice - very nice. But please, try not to use Iceberg lettuce - it's so tasteless and so void of nutrients. Go with Romaine - especially fresh Romaine - it's so amazing.



And then add your dressing of choice. It'll accentuate your salad stuffs, and at the same time it'll add more of a zest to your food.

4.) Roll Out and EAT!



'Nuff said. Just eat and enjoy!





To close things off, I'd like to say a little something.

For years, writing has been one of my passions. I have written in various formats throughout my "career" such as poetry, term paper, short story, and in script. It came to my attention one day that I had been transfused in those styles of writing to the point in which my skill was only focused in the region of my hilarity-laced seriousness. I decided that sometime before 2006 ended, I would take a stab at the unknown and venture outside of my haven of "safe" writing. There are so many different genres of writing that many others read – many genres that I have previously veered away from. I had an idea hatch in my mind: if I wrote something different and did really well, I could attract more readers. And once enough inner strength is gathered, I shall go on this journey to gather more readers and learn how to write in the new fields.

Throughout that time there was a never-ending surge of tranquility and chaos as I constantly made attempts to transcribe new material. With my lack of experience in those theaters of literature, I was sure to catch major flak from the new readers and reviewers who stumbled across my texts. Some would become followers and fans; a few will offer advice and helpful constructive criticism; others will proceed to flame any and all effort I've thrown out. There was also many failed ideas and projects that got shot down - whether it be by yours truly or by the dictactor-esque flamers. There were more thorns present, making me learn to grasp the rose where none were present.

Eventually, I wish to be able to work with and produce virtually all forms of prose. I will have gained a strong following of people eager for me to fabricate additional pieces. There will be a second Mount Everest behind me, stacked to the very top with failed attempts, appalling ideas, and (for the most part) worthless flames; and out of this mountain of failure, I will likely have only a few hundred pages of popular crater-making material that made my previous "successful" works appear as duds. (Duds with power, but that's beside the point.) However, the object that I will have gained the most of will be the experience received while following my passion for composing literary art - my writing desire.





So, until the 'morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment